Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Green List

So a reader wrote in with an interesting suggestion, and an idea I've actually toyed with myself: A list of the top UNREPPED screenplays. What I told him, which is the big problem I run into whenever I entertain the idea, is that while the pool of scripts competing for the Black List is relatively small - around 400 - the pool for the Green List would be enormous, in the tens of thousands. And since 99% of those scripts aren't any good, it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

What we would need is some kind of system whereby people could send in unrepresented scripts they thought were good, yet somehow weed out the people who are just promoting their own material. Now I realize that TriggerStreet already kinda does something like this with its rating system, and in that sense, should I even bother?

I'm coming to you guys to start a preliminary discussion on how to find these scripts to see if it's possible. One thing I know I won't be doing is adding complex rating submission systems like TriggerStreet because I simply don't have the resources to do so. The more complicated it is, the less likely I am to do it. This will probably have to be fueled by the readers, as I don't have time to weed through any more screenplays than I already do.

This is by no means a sure thing. It's something I'm throwing out there to get your feedback on. If someone comes up with a solid reader-fueled easy to manage system for finding these screenplays though, I'm all ears.